Are the Similarities That Different?
Allow me to explain the vast difference between a democratic form of government and a republic. It may take a while. Might blow some minds. Here we go:
"Democracy is government where the people decide laws and leadership directly or through participation, while a republic is government where power rests with the people but is exercised through elected representatives. In the modern United States, it’s accurate to say it is both."
Huh. Sounds like looking at identical twins to see which one is prettiest.
If I had to choose which system we have here in the US, I would say it's a republic, and according to most all the experts I'd be right. YAY! A democracy sounds a bit more hands on perhaps, but a republic sounds just as busy, but without all the personal involvement of every damn citizen, all the damn time. You don't have to vote on every fucking thing. That is up to the representatives in both systems ultimately anyways. So, same thing; not really different, just like The Doublemint Twins.
The problem with any argument about democracy v. republic is that many people erroneously think that they are the same as the parties of democrats and republicans. Again, no. The US is a democratic republic no matter which party holds the Whitehouse or either of the two houses of congress. Hey- know what else is a democratic republic? North Korea! Yeah. How 'bout that?! And you probably thought they were commies like China, which is officially the People's REPUBLIC of China. They are politically the same as our GOP, I reckon, because they are a republic, just like we are. Says so in the brochures. I may get some argument there because, in America, words mean what you want them to mean, when YOU want them to mean what YOU think they mean! That's what doing your own research is all about.
Anyways, there is always a kerfuffle on the internet about whether the US is a republic or democracy and why there is a difference; what it is (actually isn't) and why democrats must be driven from the earth. Jesus H. Christ- can't you people argue about baseball instead??!! It's so fucking stupid. It can be fun though. Someone on a thread will say something like: "In a democracy you can't go around molesting children and killing people-" and then a maga will LEAP into the conversation to declare: "WE'RE A REPUBLIC!!!" And that kind of implies that, yes, you can do those things in a republic and that they are chomping at the bit to get those things done. The quiet part out loud. I hope the rank and file of the republican party don't have such an agenda, but they ought to choose their connotations and denotations of words more carefully or they might wind up living in the People's Republic of America rather than the good ol' US of A. Republicans like to call democracy "mob rule" for some silly reason. Mob rule to me is some fat gangster making his own rules and acquiring money and power by force rather than the will of the people. That's my interpretation. 🤷 I'm probably close.
I don't know why people see this arsonist Trump as a good chance to fundamentally change the nuts and bolts that have held this country together for 250 years, but setting your hair afire won't get the job done. That will just make the house catch fire and burn the motherfucker to the ground. Then we'd be back at square one arguing about rebuilding as a democracy or a republic.
Remember: If Led Zepplin taught us anything, it's that you know sometimes words have two me-ea- nings.
Oh man, I had this argument on Topix all the time. I never played. Right not we're an autocracy.
ReplyDeleteI know! That was "Introductory to Shitposting" for a lot of them and they kept repeating the course, because they're stuck on it. There's really nothing to it beyond the facts; a distinction without a difference, I guess. They are dumber than I thought if they'll get the republic they don't know and find that *freedom* is a full-blown, autocratic regime and not a republic at all.
Delete