To Catch a Neighbor
Finally met the child molester downstairs. It wasn't on purpose.
A nice cool morning with the windows open, I could hear him and his mom talking about what a lovely breeze there was. It being Sunday, I figured they might be off to church. I had a piece of mail for the mother that didn't need to be hand-delivered, so my plan was to let them get on with their business and just slip the mail in their box. Oh, the best laid plans of Ferrermen...
As I strolled up the handicap ramp, they had had built for them, I saw that the screen door was propped open. Uh oh. Someone was home. My record of not meeting these people for a year and a half was about to be broken. Shit.
Sitting in a wheelchair the doorway, enjoying the breeze was the guy. I immediately noticed the reason for the wheelchair. His left leg had been amputated above the knee. Via the Gilmore Girls I had known of his toes having been amputated as a result of diabetes. This was quite a surprise. Seems like I had just recently seen him mobile. So, in regard to the mail I asked his last name, and it fit, as I knew it would from other misdirected mail, and it was time for introductions. I didn't really have a choice.
This fella is quite loquacious. He offered up quite early in the conversation that he had been in prison. Naturally I asked, "what for?". Rather than say he was a pedophile, he explained that he had been online with a woman who had told him she was 24 years-old but had turned out to be 16. This woman- now girl- had sent him nudes. Not only him, but a dozen other guys who all wound up in prison. Huh. Evidently the teen had not been charged herself though I knew teen boys and girls had been charged here in the US for sending nudes to each other. CSAM is CSAM no matter the age of the perpetrator. His telling made it sound like this young gal had set out to set up all these fellas.
I would think that after 11 years in "the Fed's" a guy might have had plenty of time to come up with a better story that made him look like the victim than that bullshit. I don't know what that story would be, but it wouldn't be this one. This sounded like a "To Catch a Predator" episode with Chris Hanson- but with nudes. They did not send nudes on "TCaP". They did, however, receive them.
(Incidentally, I happened to see last night a video of the episode that killed that show. A suspect they were working turned out to be high-profile county attorney that they decided to film being arrested at his home rather than the usual location of a 'sting house' wired for sound and video. That suspect, knowing he was caught, pulled a revolver and killed himself in front of the police. Network lawyers thought it best to pull the plug on the show lest that become a common occurrence.)
The conversation with Keith, as I'll call him, stayed weird. He mentioned a nearby town he had lived in that I recognized as my dad's birthplace. OK. Cool. Then he blurted out that he and his buddy had, "terrorized all the cats in town". I gave him a southern, "Do WHAT now??!!" and he quickly came off of that. It was probably the most truth telling thing he was to speak that morning. It's pretty well known that serial killers/predators begin their lives of crime by harming animals as children. They discover their lust for the power of life and death over the helpless creatures in life; like children. He wasn't really confessing to anything, but he was telling on his self, for sure. At some point in this short conversation, he offered that the Sherriff's Deputies had been by recently to advise him that someone online had threatened to "kill him and eat him". Pretty sure he said, "kids" had done this. I assumed he assumed I had seen cops come by and might be curious as to why. I hadn't and I wasn't. This portion of his story seemed a bit reverse-Hannibal Lecter. Could have happened. 🤷 You never know these days. It's possible he was an innocent victim of a malicious teen girl. Not at all likely though. Though a felon, he was quite confident that he would soon be getting his gun rights back. Oh, not likely unless he gets a pardon from you-know-who.
I was certain I wasn't going to like this guy. I was right! You don't need to know your neighbors, but you damn sure should know of them.
Oh, so creepy. I hope he doesn't start getting friendly with you.
ReplyDeleteThat won't happen. Our paths never crossed for some 18 months before yesterday's meeting and now that he's far less mobile, the path is much less traveled. I gave him the slight benefit of the doubt because the Gilmore Girls could have been wrong, or off a bit, but I got the rest of the Paul Harvey story now, from the source. I'll just be a nodding neighbor at best. The state is going to gift him a bionic leg soon though. But I'm not a buddy or ride to the store. The state covers that too.
ReplyDelete